Saturday, May 1, 2010

Fish Food

In the land of gurus, yogis, spiritual mysticism and vipassana, one would think that finding a yoga class would not be difficult. Yet I have not been able to, and have found fish food instead.

It all started with a simple request from friends for an ashram in the south of India that I could go and immerse myself in yoga. Six to eight hours a day of stretching, balancing, sweating, twisting, and expanding….

I was first recommended Pondicherry. Then, close to Pondicherry, Auroville- a community of like minded individuals, with integral yoga at the heart of the founder’s teachings. So, I looked it up on the internet, and it all seemed just what I was looking for. Upon arriving in Chennai, I got on a bus to Pondicherry to spend some time at the Sri Audiobindo Ashram.

At the ashram, I found the grounds to be beautiful, however, it was not a the teaching ashram. After spending 2 days in town trying to find a yoga class to attend during the hot months of April and May, I decided it was time to head to Auroville. I booked my ticket and was off in one of Sri Audiobindo’s Autocare cars towards Utopia.

Upon arrival to the area, I skipped the Visitor’s Center and went directly to the canteen. I ordered the ‘healthy meal’ and was in sprout and carrot soup heaven. I chatted with one woman who was also a visitor and she was staying at a rather expensive guest house. The next couple I asked were WWOOFing at Buddha Garden. In exchange for 3 hours of work (6-9am) a day, room and one meal was provided. My heart lifted up and I knew that was the place for me! I could work in the early mornings, and take yoga during the day.

Shortly after setting up my mattress and mosquito net, I learned from the others that most the yoga classes were offered in the morning. Poop. I was starting to feel that I was not destined for yoga in India. Within the next couple of days, I heard about yoga possibilities, yet one thing or another came up and kept me from attending.

Finally on Thursday, I was bound and determined to make it happen. I got on my bicycle and headed in the direction the map indicated. Within 25 minutes I realized I was completely turned around and confused. I started to ask local villagers for directions, yet the Tamil people were unfamiliar with my English written map, and I had no idea where was to get us oriented. After about 15 minutes of harassing a dozen or so people, a kind man explained how to get to where I wanted to go. I headed off and soon I heard a honk behind me, and the same man zipped in front of me on his scooter indicating I should follow. He got me to the next landmark and waved me well.

I then received directions from an Aurovillian who was familiar with the place. Within another 10 minutes, I had arrived. I parked my bike, and walked towards what looked like a big hall, where classes were most likely held. The doors were closed, as the class had most assuredly begun long ago. I felted bummed out, yet decided to at least walk around the grounds, and perhaps find a quiet place to wait and meditate as to allow myself to talk to the teacher afterwards.

I walked and found closed doors, and what appeared to be an empty dormitory. I then saw some open doors ahead. I slipped off my shoes and walked in and found a couple with their feet in the serene looking fish pond. I decided to sit down and join them.

I slipped my feet in the water and immediately my feet were kissed and nibbled by a dozen or so fish. I yanked my feet out and tried not to giggle too loudly. I then slowly lowered in my heels, and for the next couple of minutes tried to control and reign in my ticklish laughter as to maintain the stillness of the space. After a couple of minutes of building up my tolerance, I finally plunged both feet right in.

For the next twenty five minutes I became fish food.

The following morning I was describing the experience to fellow WWOOFer, Pierre while trying to laugh that perhaps the universe had not intended me to do yoga in Auroville.

He paused in our task and look calmly at me and said, “ Yet you are doing yoga. This is true integral yoga.”

And I realized I was. I was stretching, balancing, sweating, twisting, and expanding my mind, heart, body, and experiences while farming, asking, biking, and feeding the fish.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Do those fish nibble under the flesh? - like fat cells - 'cause that is a reduction program I could really get into.
Mom

Cyndi said...

I just heard on NPR about places the do pedicures with fish, similar to your experience, I think. So, you got a pedicure.

Unknown said...

Can't go more 'au natural' than that. Love it... Did they get rid of all your dead skin cells???

Marianne B said...

Wow-- that sounds interesting! Did you meet Galen at Auroville? He is Bill's girlfriend's little brother and has been living there for a while.

Marianne B said...

Btw, you could be a foot model!!

Alexa said...

Memories of Auroville. I didn't get to spend much time there, but as you did, had an amazing meal of organic, fresh veges. I was stuffed and liked the food so much, I took the leftovers in a plastic bag and napkin to eat later. The food looked so foreign that I got comments in the aiport, "Mam, is that food from your country?"