Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sea Legs


Some things in life just work out super perfectly.

Like eating breakfast to Glee’s rendition of Madonna’s Like a Prayer. I started the song as I was eating my idly and coconut masala. In true Kory fashion, I was in the Visitor’s Center and had earbuds in, and was rockin’ my head, toes and tummy as I slurped and mashed away at my breakfast. Song ends as I put the last deliciously melodic bite in my mouth! Viola! Perfection.

Or like waking up to the sound of the crashing waves. Getting to walk out the door and down the street and into the ocean. Feel refreshed by the water, and strengthened by the sun’s rays.

That is what I did this morning. I have a wonderful capsule mate, Candice of Canada, who has a friend who has the keys to a friends beach house. After a glorious supper of vege pizza, seafood risotto, and chocolate cake we headed to the beach house. I slept under a coconut grass roof and mosquito net, sliding into a restful slumber by the sea.

I awoke at dawn, as typical here, yet it was extraordinary as it was the FIRST time I awoke. I had slept through the entire night and it was sublime.

I headed out to the beach looking forward to being fully immersed in water. The first wave to crash over my head and soak me entirely brought a gush of laughter that could not be contained. I was home. Transformed by the sea to a feeling of comfort and calm that only home offers…and somehow these waters had been home and brought it to me.

I allowed the sea to lift and carry me. Sway me out and then let me slide on a wave back in. I felt this collective force picking me up and guiding me. As I relaxed, it coaxed me back and forth in a gentle lull. I closed my eyes and breathed.

In the bumpy bus ride on the way to visit a farm the other day, I saw a running race that was about to begin. There were about 30 men, and the scene looked antiquated- all the men could have come straight out of the 1940s or there about, with the shirts, shorts, and flat cloth like shoes that they wore. In fact, some had no shoes, and I noticed tape placed strategically on some. The numbers they wore on their shirts were hand written on cloth material. I saw a flag go up, yet had no vantage point to see the runners take their stance. And then the flag went down and I saw the first wave of runners round the corner just as the bus took me out of view. As we drove on, I noticed no markers, or signs to indicate the way.

I thought of races back home. Course all marked out, volunteers posted to provide water and electrolytes, music blaring to pump everyone up. I thought of all the fancy advertising, the shirts, the medals, the goody bags…the entire thing seemed to be filled with such glitz, that somehow made this race feel beautiful. Grounded.

It outlined a simple analogy in my mind. The roads in life are not always clearly marked or even constructed well. Yet we still must navigate our way. Sometimes we carry ridiculous accouterments that we think will make the journey easier, yet only burden us unnecessarily.

After about 15 minutes in the bus, we came to a small clearing with about two cars, and 7-8 people. I thought at first their car had broken down, or perhaps a picnic. Then I saw a water cooler (again..straight out the 40s..car and cooler) balanced on the fender with the hood of the trunk open. These people were there to hand out water and perhaps offer up encouragement. The support team.

Along the road, there will be those that offer help or distractions. Only we can decide for our own self when and if to accept the help or deflect the distractions.
Slam! I was covered and felt the fierce force of the wave crash over me and throw me about. I sputtered and coughed, and tried to wipe the sting from my eyes while ejecting the burn from my nose. I kicked and flayed by legs and arms until my feet found footing in the sinking sand. I took a deep breath and tried to keep my burning eyes looking about.

I had been indulging in my thoughts and lost my awareness for my surroundings. I had let go, yet the sea requires one to hold on to the present, being conscious of what is going on around you, and responding as needed. The waves can either carry or crash you, one must know this before going in and understand their own limits to the sea’s seemingly endless power.

Uh…whoa there girl! Easy on the thoughts and just enjoy the sea-consciously.

There seems to be a lesson in all I immerse myself in here in Incredible India. She has much to teach me. And I have much to learn.

No comments: