Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Heart Full


I have bits of words from the musical Les Miserables stuck in my head, ‘A heart full of love….In my life…..touches my life….waiting near…waiting here’.

I have been on the African continent since November, experiencing the ebb and flow my heartbeats, skips, and aches.

Last night I picked up a book about a Aussie woman’s experience living and working in S.Africa, and since then I am finding it difficult to ignore the aches. Page 28 finds me on the verge of tipping over. I have continually fought back the urge to get my computer and type this, yet page 28 won. I now sit in the large spacious common room in Durban’s hostel, The Happy Hippo and wonder if I should move back to my room where tears in waiting might be better received.

The author arrived in South Africa in 1988, during apartheid. She talks about how her whole life she dreamt of coming to Africa, and how she was prepared to fall in love. She was surprised at the underlying hostility she felt once crossing the border from Zimbabwe into SA.

I too feel it.

I’ve spent my time with Black, white, and mixed race, what here is termed ’coloured’, yet the majority of my time has been with whites. I wonder why that happens. In Tanzania and Ethiopia that was not the case, yet whites are also the minority there. Yet here, wandering around on my own, I still tended towards meeting and befriending other white people. Walking down the street in Wellington, the small town I stayed while working on a wine farm, it was white people who waved me over to the local watering hole and insisted on buying me a drink. Yet last night in a huge Texas like thunder and lightening storm, it was a Black man that rolled down his window during the tumultuous rain and asked if I was lost. I then followed him to the street that would lead me to my night’s destination. People are kind. People are good.

Yesterday, I failed to give a young Black man a ride out of the National Game Park. I felt guilty the entire drive out. I have given loads of women lifts, yet never a man-regardless of color, though honestly a white man was never asking. Would I have turned that young man down had he been white? I hope so (as does my brother Jared), but…

One cannot help but to continually role the ideas of race around in this country. As the farmer I worked for said, “We are all just one race-the human race. Race is just fabricated by us as an excuse.”

But is it really this country? I often find myself struggling with such issues and ideas at home as well. What would have been my life like had I bought a house in Oakland? Would I be more aware of the problems, as I would be more a part of a Black community? Has my life been kept idyllic living in sweet suburban Campbell?

When I was around 7 or 8 my mom asked me if I had anything against Asians. What?? She went on to say that she had noticed that I did not have any Asian friends and wanted to make sure that I felt positively towards all people. I wonder if my mom remembers this, as the impression it made on me has never faded. I believe I made an effort to create my own little United Nations circle of friends. Yet looking back, I do not believe I had any Black friends. Did she only ask about the kids in my neighborhood? I don’t even remembering having Black classmates until middle school.

Since I’ve gone back to my childhood, I am going to dredge up a haunting memory. Many of you know I wear contacts and glasses. I did not get contacts until I was a freshman in high school, and as a child my glasses were Coke bottle thick. I was often made fun of and taunted due to my ugly ducking goggles. During the ride home from a field trip to Marine World some kid from another school made fun of me with the usual taunts of Four Eyed Freak and Ugly. Now these were nothing new to me, I got them at home regularly from my brothers so one might have thought I’d built up a tough skin by then. But no, I found that I finally had something hurtful I could say back. So I called the kid a Nigger.

It worked, though like me- he was able to quickly cover up his hurt with anger and his verbal barrage started a fresh. I have no idea what he said back then, but still now, I remember the moments after I said it felt as if a heavy weight came down on my chest and shoulders, pinning me to that place while the rest of me was desperately trying to run away.

Again the impression of that moment has never faded. That I retaliated with hate, and with something that my young mind did not quite comprehend the power of. I learned young, that that was something I did not ever want to repeat. Not just using a racially derogatory word, but spitting back hate.

This has been a bit of a purge, now hasn’t it? Bear with me.

Africa, and more particularly, South Africa brings to surface all of these confused feelings of race. Yet, digging deeper, it is really about where we all fit in. Having a place in the world where one feels accepted, valued, and has the ability to prosper are the basics needs of the human experience.

Hence page 28 of Sandy Blackburn’s Holding Up the Sky.

“… to believe in God means to care about what is happening in the lives of people around you.”
Now this has a bit of a stickiness to it for me due to the reference of God. So if I take the word God out, and substitute it with us. Us meaning, we the people of the planet earth, I feel calmer about my place here is the world because I know I care.

Blackburn continues to explain her purpose as part of a mixed group making presentations to high school students in the Durban area during apartheid, “ We were attempting to communicate that if you were black you could not avoid politics; and that if you white, you were still impacted by politics although it felt far less uncomfortable.”

Campbell is far less uncomfortable than Oakland. The U.S. is far less uncomfortable than Africa. My life has been far far less uncomfortable than probably 90% of the world’s population.

So what am I doing about it?

My baby step is caring about what is happening in the lives of people around me. I still have more white friends than Asain or Black, but I do care about others.

And Africa fills my heart with that.

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

Oh my, Kory. You've said so much here and it touches my heart. [Sidebar: You're not supposed to make me cry while I'm at work. ;)]

The experience from your childhood, spitting hate, reminds me of some of mine. Your current desire (and I hope I'm not overstepping) to see humans as humans, regardless of color, resonates with mine.

The realization that we tend to group together by similar traits of whatever kind... location, color, ideology... hits home. I work primarily with white people... My direct coworker is black (we're sort of a team of two). We get along famously, hanging out some outside of work, helping each other move, etc., but I don't know that we would if we didn't have work in common. How would we have met and gotten to know each other if we hadn't been forced, to an extent, by our job?

You make me think.

You are on an amazing journey, and only part of it is happening geographically... Thank you for sharing some of it with us.

Christine said...

Thanks for the reminder, Kory. Some of my childhood experiences are also coming back to me and kicking me in the butt :)

Vicki said...

I just wrote a "book" and it went away. So here is the shorter version of what I said:
I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "If you want peace, seek justice." I thought that made lots of sense.

Even our squabbles at home are usually over injustices perceived or real. Case in point: I went to my retired teacher’s monthly lunch and the same old same old, District office spends money, but teachers are asked to work beyond their contract. District office breaks their own rules – pays for lunches and treats for their staff- but won’t reimburse for teachers for???
So peace cannot exist without justice. Here’s the rub. Life isn’t fair. There is no such thing as an even playing field. People are born differently: socially, physically, mentally, economically, etc. So if you want justice and fair play, you get stuck here.
You could see pity as the beginning of love, mercy as an act of love, and charity as the condition of the heart/soul/person who gives and receives love in all they do. If you only see pity as a vantage point, then you do not extend mercy.
I think we do need God. I think we need him to whisper in our minds and tell us, “This is good. This is right” or, “It’s okay. I’m here” or “No, stop!” I think if we don’t have that we are on our own and by ourselves; we put up barriers to protect ourselves. Those barriers need to be penetrated for us to act in love at all times, in all situations.

Am I there? Nope. Do I want to be? Not enough to work as hard as I should, but I want to be.

I wish I was more like you.

Mom hum, maybe this wasn't the shorter version. hehe

barbara said...

Hey I found your blog. I am such a dino. Fascinatingly enough, CHS has been doing much about how to help the "underachieving" students at our school ie Hispanics and Blacks. We have done several very interesting and provocative activities as a staff. # 1 Admin put up ALL student names around the cafeteria and all staff had a sheet of dots to put next to each student we "had a relationship with" Many, many names did not have dots. We were then given a sheet with all the non-dotters in our classes and to pick 2 that we were going to focus on (being Black or Hispanis) and become better buddies with. OK not too bad. I had already chosen my student well before that.

# 2 Now, this following activity was interesting for me. I had never done this before. Ever. All staff were in the cafeteria; given a survery based on one's race. Questions like, "Based on your race, do you ever have an issue with renting a hotel room?" "Based on your race, do you ever have problems with where you live?" Two paper sides of questions like that. Then we totaled our scores, wrote our scores on a 3x5 card in marker and were instructed to get in a line from highest to lowest scores. yicks. That was uncomfortable.High scores were "white, blond, blue eyes. Low scores were black, black hair, dark eyes". We all stood silently in a horse shoe shape configuration. And then we were to make verbal observations about the outcome. This was a really cool assignment. It brought to light how much white people take for granted in the daily life they lead and how much people of color live in a world that is a white man's world and how much their life is effected by the color of their skin.
I will never be able to know or feel exactly what a Black man experiences in this racist world, but maybe I can become more and more sensitive to a world dominated and controlled by the White man.

Glad I found your blog. Now you are in my Favorites!

Judoka11 said...

I've always felt appreciated by you. Miss you so much! Love your Asian friend, Nicole

Susan on the road said...

kory. thank you for sharing. i know exactly how you feel. i have never felt so conflicted about race as i have since i arrived in south africa a few weeks ago. in fact, as i type a "coloured" woman is cleaning my room at my b&b. i try to be friendly but its obviously shes been instructed to be seen and not heard. :(

its incredible to me how segregated this country is, and everyone seems so natural about it. its like im in the twilight zone. it makes me absolutely uncomfortable yet at the same time everything has been so much easier and more comfortable here than the rest of africa that ive let myself sit back and enjoy it. every once and awhile i feel guilty but mostly ive been complacent. its terrible.

your blog post has inspired me to be more present and aware during the rest of my time here and also to be more active about caring about the people around me.

safe travels and i hope our paths cross again on your journey.

xo,
susan

p.s. i think your mom is very wise. :)

Laurie Holland said...

Your blog entries are intriguing, entertaining, and thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing with us your experiences and insights. I am so happy you have had this time of travel and learning. I'm really looking forward to meeting with you upon your return to hear how your worldview has changed. I'd love to be out there with you as a travel buddy; until that day comes, I'm happy to read about your travels here on your blog. Safe and happy journey, Kory!

Jared said...

i miss my sister -- and yes, i'm protective of you.