Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shambo

Shambo

Sounded like a name for a whale or some other aquatic animal at the aquarium that was the latest display to attract the public. However, he is a Sivananda yoga teacher in Auroville. He also provides physical therapy and AUM (like OM) massage treatments. Shambo had posted a notice that he would be hosting yoga classes on T//Th from 9:30-11am starting next week.

YAHHOOOO!

That would work perfectly with my farm work schedule. I was ecstatic! Finally, the universe was agreeing to my plan of yoga. I was going to stretch and learn, and grow, and become more centered, and gain insights, and provide world peace!

At the first class, I felt so happy. I had found what I was looking for. The class taught meditation, stretch my limbs, and gave my mind seeds to consider. Shambo had said many things that rang true to me during the class. I felt a weight being lifted from me that I didn’t even know I had. I was just bummed that I would be leaving in 5 days, and could not have more.

At the end of the class, the other student -Emma, opened her mouth and said many things that I was feeling. It was enthralling. Then, she asked if there was any way we could have MORE classes with him. I thought I was about to cry, as she was articulating my thoughts and desires.

Shambo agreed and we set up a schedule that would provide me with all the yoga I could squeeze in with the short time remaining. I also set up an AUM massage for Friday, the day before I left.

The massage was amazing. I mean, of course someone rubbing your body, and relaxing you is amazing…but that was not the amazing part.

Shambo explained so many things to me about my body. For instance, he said that my legs were not meant to be always on the go. That my legs were the type that needed to plant roots. That I they would carry me to adventures, yet that they would always bring me home, because they were not restless wanderers. I knew this to be true. I have learned this during my travels, and had just discussed it with Candice the previous night.

Another mystery revealed was the my ankle problems. As many of you know, I have been trying to figure out how to heal the pain in my ankles that I feel on a daily basis, and that has kept be from running for over a year now. When Shambo explained what he felt, it rang true.

He said that my ankle problems come from my knees. That the problem requires rest. That my body is trying to communicate to me that I must rest them, otherwise later they will not even have the strength to tell me to take it easy, and will no longer be able to carry me. That I should realize this , and listening and respond to my body’s effort at communicating with me.

Energetically, problems in these areas typically are a result of problems with communication and relationships.

GULP.

He said it with such kindness and without a trace of judgment. Then he asked if I believed it. I nodded in assent. He asked if I wanted to change anything about my communication, and I again nodded in assent. He gently asked if I wanted to explain.

I told him that I was ashamed of my lack of control, especially when it came to getting angry quickly. He asked me what I did for it. I told him running.

And now?

Tears spilt from my eyes as I nodded my head negatively and choked out the word: nothing.

Shambo shaded in the picture for me. I would get upset, react, feel guilty, and then go for a run to let go of the tension and emotion. Now that I cannot run, I have not found a way to deal with my sparking temperament.

I nodded again.

He carefully talked about meditation and yoga asanas, outlining for me some ways to approach it, to begin to start a practice in order to direct my energy at maintain a constant energy that would not spark and fly off the handle.

A wave of tenderness and peace washed over me.

I have never walked out of a massage feeling confident that I had the tools to solve some of my deepest fears and inadequacies. Yet on that Friday I did. I know most of it, was due to finally allowing myself to open up and receive the lessons I needed to learn.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Oh, Kory... I would so like a piece of that peace... It sounds like you've gained Yet Another Insight into yourself. YAY!

Alexa said...

This post makes me feel content